Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 5 month rabbit was bitten in the hind area. After three

Customer Question

My 5 month rabbit was bitten in the hind area. After three days, I picked her up and her left leg was just dangling. My wish is to have it amputated and keep her in the house in a quiet area. I worry about the expensive and the possibility of her dying because of the severe process. Any idea how much this would costs? As well as the cost of euthanasia?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Thumper!

If her leg is compromised, then amputation is a reasonable salvation option. Though you are correct that anesthesia is a bigger risk for this species then it would be for cats or dogs. Still if you wished to give her a chance, you can request that your vet give you an estimate for surgical costs before making a decision on which option to choose. Generally speaking, an amputation tends to cost between $700-900 (though this can vary by state, city, and the veterinary practice). Therefore, you may even want to ring around to get comparison estimates from your local vet. Otherwise, euthanasia would be a less costly option if you did wish to choose it, as that tends to only be $100-200.

Just in case, you don’t already have a rabbit vet, and wish to find one near you, by checking here (http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Lee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thumper. How is everything going?

Dr. B.