Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Teddy ate a little while ago I think. He had loose stools

Customer Question

Teddy ate a little while ago I think. He had loose stools twice today already. It has now been 24 hours since the incident. His gums are rather pale and kinda sticky - although it was hard to take a good look. He did not want me to hold him. Couldn't tell if he felt discomfort when I touch his stomach.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me if his gums are paler then usual for him?

What color are those stools?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and since this appears to be a reply to a previous question, I suspect this is Teddy that ate the strip of label paper. If that is the case and based on what you have said above, we need to tread with care. If his gums are paler then usual or if his stool is black, then an internal bleed would be a worry and we'd want him seen urgently. If those aren't present, then we can breathe a sigh of relief and start supportive care.

To help with moving this through his gut and help firm his stools, we can use a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. All are easy on the gut and this will reduce his looseness. To this we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or mix 0.25tsp Metamucil into canned food) to help push the label paper through. As well, we can use OTC cat hairball treatment to help it slip through, but it could loosen the stool further for the short term.

Otherwise, as we do this, we'd want to keep a close eye on Teddy. If he has any appetite loss, vomiting, black stools, paling further, belly pain or seems uncomfortable; we'd want him seen and checked by his vet for a blockage. If it is lower down the colon, an enema may help it pass. But if this does catch or is causing harm to the gut, then we'd need this to removed surgically. Though hopefully if we can use the above to push that through, we can avoid that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )