Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Fell through the screen of the second story window. He was

Customer Question

fell through the screen of the second story window. He was running around outside, and it took a little while to find him. he appears to be moving around fine, but is now hidding under the bed. He has almost come out a few times, but sniffs around, and goes back under.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Roux and he is about 4.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roux?
Customer: not sure he is a bigger cat, around the length of our beagle, and weighs about 15lbs. he is an indoor cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he fall?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Does he appear sore anywhere?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
fell about 2 hrs ago now. still really freaked out, but reaparation seems abiut 45 breaths per min. gums appear pink, doesnt seem tender. just started eating.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
seems to be arching his back a lot, and his fur goes up and tail shakes a little. then goes back to exploring the room.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

If he is arching back and stretching, then that does suggest that he is a bit uncomfortable. The same is suspect with that elevated breathing rate but proper gum color (since paling would be a sign of internal bleeding or breathing compromise). And if he is feeling bruised, stiff, and sore; then it is not unexpected that he keeps retreating under the bed. This is a common cat behaviour that we see when they feel vulnerable (since making the world aware that one is not 100% would make one a target for predation). So, the hiding will settle as he feels better. And if it only has been 2 hours, then we'd want to give him time to settle. So, its good that he is moving around more and eating for you. From here, we'd want to just keep an eye that the breathing rate drops back down to 20-30 breaths per minute at rest and that he starts to move more comfortably. If he doesn't settle, then we'd need to consider a visit to his vet for cat safe pain relief (since there are no OTC safe options) and have them perform a full check (including diaphragm since that can be damaged during a fall and cause breathing changes) to ensure there are no sustained injuries from this fall that need to be addressed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )