Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 19 year old cat. he's very thin and has thyroid

Customer Question

I have a 19 year old cat. he's very thin and has thyroid issues for kitties....no meds. He is trying to pass his bowels this am but only is able to push hard and has what looks like chocolate colored droplets. He sometimes throws up when he drinks water and will only east Fancy Feast beef. I have been delighted that he is eating regularly.....but this morning as I said....he is training and stops and squats anywhere to do so....again....very unlike his normal behavior...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of......he did but that is what laundry is for...
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jarvis....I had to put his brother down two years ago. I have never known him to gasous.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jarvis?
Customer: no he's good.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you confirm that Jarvis can pass urine?

How long has it been since he last passed stool? Was it hard or soft?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is trying to move his bowels and instead is getting droplets of soft chocolate diarrhea. he appears to be in pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

And can you confirm if Jarvis has any of the other signs I noted?

Can he pass urine?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Now if Jarvis is sore, then we need to tread with care. The reason I was asking about urination is because we can see straining due to urinary blockage can appear similarly. And were constipation is a serious matter; urinary blockage is an absolute emergency for male cats. So, if there is any doubt he can pass urine, we’d want him seen urgently. Though if he is in severe discomfort, then that too would warrant emergency assessment for him.

That all said, if he can pass urine and if there is any delay, I do want to note some home care options to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. First, we sometimes find that cow’s milk can be helpful at getting things moving along since cats are like lactose sensitive people and will have increased gut movement with this.

Otherwise, we can use a GI lubricant to get things moving. Often we will use OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from the vet or the pet shop. Similarly, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (0.5 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. These need to be mixed into his food to give without risk. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, we’d want to consider increasing the fiber in the diet. To do so, consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into his food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink if he isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure he has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if he is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, I am concerned about Jarvis here. If he cannot urinate or is painful, then we’d want him seen now. Otherwise, you can try the above to try to get things moving. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or more straining without feces; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )