Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She had a dental cleaning yesterday, in the leg where the

Customer Question

She had a dental cleaning yesterday, in the leg where the shaved her fur and inserted the IV, her paw is swollen and she is limping. Should I take her in?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Saje. She is six.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saje?
Customer: She isn't walking much. She looks like she is in pain. She licks her swollen paw alot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she still have a bandage where the IV was on?

2- When did the swelling occur, after she came home?

3- Is she strictly indoors?

4- Any sores on the limb?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Her paw was fine yesterday when I brought her home. The bandage was removed this morning when I noticed her paw was swollen. She is an indoor cat. There is no visible brusing. The swelling started sometime last night.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry Saje is limping as a result of the swollen paw, I know it must worry you. But, it sounds like the bandage that was placed after removing the IV was a little tight and for this reason, her paw is swollen. This will not have any long-term negative consequences, just a little swelling for a few days. What you can do is apply warm compresses on her paw for 2-3 minutes followed by cold compresses for 2-3 minutes; do this several times a day, it will help the circulation and remove the fluid buildup that is causing the swelling and lameness. If no improvement within 1-2 days I would have her checked by family veterinarian. Finally, do not let her lick excessively the paw, she may create a sore making it worse. Very likely that she will be fine, this is an unfortunate outcome from the bandage.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Ron,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her paw looks fine. She is walking normally now and the swelling has gone down. The only thing I've noticed is that her claws on the effected paw are still a bit dark and dull, she usually keeps them pretty sharp. She is eating normally and her routine has returned to normal. I'm not sure I should be concerned about the color of her claws, I think with time they will grow out and return to being the same color as the claws on her other paw? Other than that, it appears I should have removed the bandage earlier then I did.

Fantastic, I am happy to learn she is doing better. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter