Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She is an 18 plus years old female and is fighting a mouth

Customer Question

she is an 18 plus years old female and is fighting a mouth tumor which will be removed tomorrow. In the meantime, she is stripping the fur off both front legs and feet and it looks very painful. She is receiving 4 drops of Metacam each 12 hours and I don't know if this is giving her relief. I do not want to give her more problems. Will applying medication to her feet aggravate her more, or should I just let things be until the morning when she goes to the hospital?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: This is the second month of treatment, the first month was a different doctor, but he didn't seem to know what to do. This little girl is very precious to me and I want only the best for her. Thank you for any suggestions...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry your old kitty has a mouth tumor, but it is good you are taking care of it tomorrow.

I would be cautious about using Metacam in a cat this old. It can be hard on her kidneys. Has she has any blood tests done to check her kidney function?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

You could try applying some topical steroid ointment to her feet, and keeping her from licking it off for 5 to 10 minutes.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; how is she doing?

Let me know if this was helpful and if you have more questions.