Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My cat is very very itchy. we are seeing the vet on Monday.

Customer Question

my cat is very very itchy. we are seeing the vet on Monday. Could I give him a little Benadryl to get him through?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He doesn't have fleas. Its allergies of some sort
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: He is on prescription food - Science Diet urinary SO. He is a 4 year old persian otherwise in perfect health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, this does sound like a form of an allergic reaction to could be an insect bite or something else he encountered. You can give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs. It is easier to give the liquid Pediatric form which is 12.5 mg per teaspoon....don't get worried if he starts having excessive salivation when you give this. It is a normal reaction to teh stress and will nto harm your guy. The anti histamine will, hopefully, stop this reaction quickly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta