Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have 2 year old male neutered cat. He gets into anything

Customer Question

I have 2 year old male neutered cat. He gets into anything and everything he can swallow. But it's medications, string, paper etc.
he has had his morning can food and played with cat snacks. But he developed a uncontrolled sneezing fit with stomach spasm and slows down just lying there. I looked in airway mouth and nose nothing in it. I washed face for dirt etc. I am monituring him. Should I be worried and what should I do. Thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that little Lileo has developed an allergic reaction to something. It is hard to know what that may be but it will not hurt to give him a dose of Benadryl which , hopefully, will stop this allergic reaction. Give him 1/2 teaspoon of liquid Benadryl Pediatric formula every 12 hrs until the sneezing stops. He may have excessive salivation after giving this medication but that is normal...it looks scary but it is harmless.

This sneezing could also be due to something that went down his trachea instead of his esophagus while eating and if this is the case, this will resolve on its own in a few minutes so give it a little time to see how sweet Litleo does before panicking. I LOVE his picture by the way...sooo cute!!!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****