Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

When 5 yr old male spirs up a furball he will have upset

Customer Question

When 5 yr old male spirs up a furball he will have upset stomach for a couple days Hell try to eat and drink Comes up Then in 2 days hell b fine for awhile then it starts again Hes on prescription cat food because of crystals
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Maxi max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Has all shots Thers 4 cats bro and sis both Neither of females want anything to do w either of the males
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Hi Mary,

I am sorry Maxi has this trouble.

Cats with crystals often become nauseated.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

To prevent hairballs:

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,