Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have. 4 week old kitten he ate once in the morning and

Customer Question

I have. 4 week old kitten he ate once in the morning and sleeps all day almost
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Alex
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alex?
Customer: I think he have diahria
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you owned Alex?
2) What did he eat this morning?
3) Are you seeing blood in the stool?
4) Are you raising him or is his mother?
5) Has he had any veterinary care?
6) What is his story? How did he come to you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 - I had Alex for almost two days.
2- we are feeding him Royal Canin kitten instinctive.
3- no blood are visible in the stool.
4- the cat is an orphan I got him from the shelter.
5- I took him to vet the same day I got him , the vet Performed urine test and full check up and all results came good. He withhold from doing blood check because the cat Alex is too young we will perform blood check after two weeks. We will also start the vaccinations rounds.
6 - As I said I went to the shelter with my young boy and we all loved his , he was alone and the the only kitten in the shelter . So we adapted him and here we are . I feel like have a new born at home but I feel hopeless because it is all new stuff to me.Thank youRegardsHusam

The first thing to know is that a kitten at 4 weeks of age is just old enough to be weaned, so offering just canned food alone may not be all that Alex needs. I would recommend blending both the instinctive and a milk replacer for kittens (like KMR) together and giving him a gruel to drink. Like this:

He will likely take it better at room temp or slightly warm.

Because he is from the shelter, be aware that it's common for them to pick up respiratory infections and they can quickly debilitate a young kitten. If he does not eat well today, he needs to go back to your vet for a recheck. If they did not perform a fecal check on him, this needs to be done with the diarrhea. A thorough check for any respiratory concerns would also be worthwhile. It can take days before kitten develop symptoms, so your vet may have not picked up on something that was there to start because he was not yet symptomatic.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, Husam. How is this baby doing?