Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat comes inside, announces himself and urinates inside,

Customer Question

My cat comes inside, announces himself and urinates inside, I think he is letting us know he is sick, but i would like to know if there is a reason why he does this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you tell me more? Does he come inside the house and the urinate outside of the cat box? where is he going? any blood in the urine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is toilet trained, he usually does his business outside, his urine is normal colour.I have 2 other cats but they all get along well, Rajah (the cat I'm getting help for) receives the most attention and affection.It could be psychological but I think he may have a problem physically, which is why he announces himself first before he urinates

It would be wise to rule out a urinary tract infection to be sure that this is not the cause of the vocalization before using the toilet. This can be done by a visit to your vet and sampling of urine. The results will be given to you within a few minutes in most cases.

If there is nothing found, talk to your vet about trying some behavioral meds if you feel this is behavioral. Prozac or elavil may be choices for him. Other options would include trying rescue remedy or other natural supplement meant to help with behavioral issues and also pheromone diffusers like feliway.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it's psychologicalI think he has a problem he wants attention for

Unless he's seeking to be near someone after the vocalization, this seems unlikely. However, it IS very like cats to try to draw attention to themselves when they are having medical problems. It is my concern that there may be an underlying UTI here that he's bringing attention to. The only way to be certain is to have him checked by your vet. UTI's are very common in adult male cats.