Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat peed on the door mat at 4 am. never did this

Customer Question

my cat peed on the door mat at 4 am. never did this before.Why?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: stripes, and about 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about stripes,?
Customer: he was at my store and use to go in and out. very well behaved. never claws the furniture. someone i think kicked him one day last year. took him to the vet and nursed him back to health alone. was really bad. after he was finailly walking. i took him to get fixed and bruoght him home
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does he have a litter box inside? If so, has he still been urinating outside the litter box or was this just a one time occurrence?

How is his appetite and activity level?

Any vomiting, diarrhea or change in drinking habits?

Was there any blood in the urine?

Did he urinate a large, small or normal amount?