Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He keeps having seizure like episodes and no one can figure

Customer Question

he keeps having seizure like episodes and no one can figure out what is wrong with him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mr. Kitty he is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr.?
Customer: he has hyperthyroidism which he takes medication for and mild kidney disease he is on a royal canin renal diet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mr. Kitty. Can you please describe these episodes to me? Has his blood pressure been checked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His blood pressure has been checked, the episodes are short last night was the longest at about a minute and a half he gets stiff but continues to try to walk but it's like his legs are stiff and he falls over and bumps into things and becomes walbely. I noticed last night his head was to one side and was like his neck was twisting. After each episode he always eats and becomes affectionate and purring which is normal behavior for him. He's had his ears checked to make sure it's not that's vestibular issue he has also had a cardiogram which has came back good and lots of blood work. He's had significant weight loss as well although that has seemed to slow down since he started taking the medication for the hyperthyroidism.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has about one to two episodes a month. For about 7 months

Thank you for the additional information. You appear to be describing complex partial seizures (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizures). Unfortunately, the most common cause of these seizures is a slow-growing meningioma in his brain. Adult onset epilepsy is less common but a consideration as well. Most of us will tolerate one mild seizure monthly before considering an anticonvulsive drug. MRI would be the preferable diagnostic at this time but presumptive therapy with phenobarbital, zonisamide, or levetiracetam would be reasonable as well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.