Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Franklin did have a respiratory infection that was cleared

Customer Question

Franklin did have a respiratory infection that was cleared with antibiotics. Several months have passed and he continues to cough when he first wakes up. A couple days ago we took him to the vet because he started acting sick again. The vet did not feel there was another infection and did blood work with no irregular results. He now seems to be swallowing like he has a sore throat. He is eating and drinking but is hiding from our other cats. He growls and hisses if any others come near him. Usually he loves to be around them. Could he have a cold and he doesn't recognize them by smell? Why this reaction to his kitty friends?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear that Franklin isn't his normal self. Has your vet seen one of these swallowing events where he seems to be sore? Do you feel he's eating and drinking normal amounts? Is he vomiting?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes the stress of a trip to the vet's office can cause displaced emotions. Basically, they have been stressed and then if they aren't totally feeling well, they can misdirect those feelings to others pets / people in the house. A lot of times the smells at the clinic are what set the stress off. The best thing you can do is to keep him in the area that he's most comfortable and to give him time to settle from all this. As long as he's eating and drinking well, you could give him a few days and I would have high hopes that he's more to his normal interactions in that time frame.