Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I accidentally put first shield for dogs on my 6 mo. old

Customer Question

I accidentally put first shield for dogs on my 6 mo. old kitten. She is shaking and vomiting. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** This product most likely has permethrin in it and that is something that can be very bad for cats / kittens. When it is used on cats, it can cause abnormal neurologic stimulation ranging from tremors / shaking / seizures / death. At this time, the best thing to do is immediately wash off the area of application with warm water and Dawn dish soap to try and remove as much from the skin as possible so no more is absorbed. Then she needs to be seen by your vet / an ER vet to start her on a muscle relaxer called methocarbamol to control the tremors that she's having. The good news is that if this is treated appropriately and in the right time frame, she'll do well and not have residual issues from this.