Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a cat (Molly) that came to me 3 years ago. She had

Customer Question

I have a cat (Molly) that came to me 3 years ago. She had lost almost all of her hair and was covered with bumps. She was treated for fleas and given a steroid shot. This did not help at all. The bumps finally went away but seem to return every year in the late summer to fall season. She is an inside cat. She is now getting the bumps again but at a faster rate and now there are bumps all over her tail and the hair is becoming thin, she also has some on her body and head. I am very passionate about my animals and do not feel comfortable taking her back to the same vet that had no solution. If you can help me I would really appreciate it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Dear Susie,

This is an allergic reaction called Miliary dermatitis. It is not contagious, hence other cats are unaffected.

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,