Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I was offered pet insurance through my employer last year

Customer Question

I was offered pet insurance through my employer last year and I got it for my cat. Since she was 10 yrs old they would only approve injury insurance. So that's what we have. This is the first year. She hurt her leg and I took her to the vet this week. It's a sprain and they gave her a shot and pills. The vet found a lump in one of her nipples, though. I said I'd bring her back in November for shots and they could check it further at that time. I looked up "redacted nipple" online and saw it could be cancer.I think I should take her back for a followup and ask them to do a biopsy. Can you help me figure out how much it would cost me out of pocket. I think the injury insurance won't cover a biopsy. This could be very expensive and I don't have the resources to spend a lot of money on Kitty, but I want to get her care. I have the Nationwide injury plan. I wonder if they would allow me to get additional coverage in 2017.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr.KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just one moment...

In most cases, a biopsy of the mammary glands requires sedation or anesthesia and the cost of pain medicine, lab biopsy, and surgery fees. The exact cost can vary greatly depending on where you are and the size of the lump. Your vet will be able to provide an estimate that will likely be in the range of $400-600. Most insurance companies can give you a pre-treatment authorization. So, first, contact your vet for the estimate. Second, contact the insurance company and fax them the estimate for pre-approval. This way, you will have an idea of cost. If you cannot afford your out-of-pocket charge, your vet will likely have payment plan options that could be very helpful.

Please let me know if you have other questions,

All the best to you,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Sound's doable to me. I don't think this treatment is covered under the injury plan. It says conditions due to disease or illness is not covered. I can cover under $1000, but anything over that is outside of my affordability zone. I'm also wondering if I can sign up for additional coverage once my year is up. Benefit enrollment is next month.

You're welcome. I practice in an area with a high cost of living, so I think that the biopsy should be well under your budget of $1000 in almost all areas.

Definitely talk to the insurance company about pre-existing conditions if you do get additional coverage. Since this lump is already in Kitty's medical record, we want to make sure that the extra coverage will actually apply to this lump.