Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My female cat throws up after eating dry cat food. She

Customer Question

My female cat throws up after eating dry cat food. She dosen't chew it up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no. Just dry cat food. She will eat canned food, but will switch to the dry if available.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Presley. 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Presley?
Customer: She is pre-diabetic.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Presley. Is she on a special diet since she's pre-diabetic? Is she only vomiting after eating the dry? Does she ever do this when eating the wet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No special diet. Only after dry food. She will even steal dry food from my male cat.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Some cats can just have vomiting after certain foods. The dry is something that she may just not handle as well as the wet. She may eat it too fast and distend her stomach to cause the vomiting. It may just be a physically irritating thing for her stomach. In a situation like this, if a certain food / type is found to cause vomting and there there are no other problems - diarrhea, weight loss, loss of appetite - then it would seem like a good plan to keep on the food(s) that aren't going to cause the vomiting.