Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is almost feral. She is about 13 years old. I can not

Customer Question

My cat is almost feral. She is about 13 years old. I can not pick her up without her tearing me apart. She comes in the house eats and leaves as soon as we open a door. Consequently she has not had shots for years. (Could not get her in the car, a crate, or anything else. Her nose began turning red a few months ago. I have found blood stains on things around the house. It looks horrible now. It just has to hurt. What can I do? Even if I got medicine I don't think she would let me put it on her after the first time. She is also losing weight in spite of her eating two bowls of food a day. Please advise.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Could you take a picture of the nose and post it here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have one on my iPad thAt is better but there is a technical problem sending it to my phone. I will try the one on my phone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you get it?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Got it. I'm working on an answer now.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm really worried about your cat. This looks like a squamous cell carcinoma. These are common tumors of the nose, mouth or eye in cats. They will often times have that red lumpy look and they will ulcerate and bleed on occasion.

These are not tumors that spread to other parts of the body all that commonly, but they are locally invasive and they grow in areas where they cannot easily be removed. Most of the time we'll try to remove as much as we can and then see how long until it starts to re-grow. Radiation therapy is ideal, but the availability and expense makes it an unrealistic option.

If you want to use something topically, I would just use a triple antibiotic like Neosporin. You could also look into ordering SSD (silver sulfadiazine) online as it's easy to apply and works well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. I will try to put some silver sulfa. . . On her if she will let me. Otherwise I do not know how I can catch her to get her to the vet. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome. Good luck with her.