Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat was having severe problems breathing. It sounded as

Customer Question

My cat was having severe problems breathing. It sounded as though he were trying to breath through a pin hole. Our vet took a picture of his larynx, which was inflamed and one side seemed paralyzed. A biopsy was taken and did not show cancer, but he is wondering if it really is cancer because our cat hasn't improved. He has had steroid injections and ones to help with the inflammation, but nothing has worked. He has been on Lasix since the beginning to keep his breathing more clear. After weeks and weeks, he has lost a lot of weight and has now stopped eating. I have tried every kind of food possible with no luck. He had a steroid injection just days ago. Could the Lasix be making him not eat? Is there anything that I could do to help him eat again? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: He is fourteen years old and has always been a noisy breather. But, never anything like this. He is drinking water, but is getting so weak without food. I also wondered if it is painful to swallow and this could be why he is not eating. A couple of times with baby food, he took a couple of bites like he really liked it, and then stopped. This made me wonder about pain. He is always there when it is time for soft food, so he must really want to eat, but now doesn't.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Stuey.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Sorry to hear about your cat not improving. Has Stuey had any x-rays of his chest done? Is he on any other medications besides the Lasix? Any recent bloodwork?