Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I was looking up information on this alstroemerias Lilly. My

Customer Question

Hello! I was looking up information on this alstroemerias Lilly. My kitty just ate maybe 1/4 inch of a leaf. Should I take him to the vet right away or will this plant cause only stomach upset?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Oscar. He is 9 months old and maybe weighs 12 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: No, he is healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr.KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just one moment...

The alstromeria lilly or peruv***** *****lly is in the tulipa plant family. These types of lillies cause stomach upset, potential vomiting and diarrhea, and sometimes irritation in the mouth for cats, but not the deadly kidney damage that true lillies are known for.

It would be wise to monitor Oscar for the next 24 hours, possibly feed him a bland diet, and look out for any GI upset. If he does start vomiting, you may want to withhold food and water to ensure his stomach has a chance to settle down.