Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He keeps loosing weight, I gave him a round of penicillin

Customer Question

he keeps loosing weight
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: I gave him a round of penicillin end of july that seamed to help
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: he started loosing weight about 3 weeks ago and I treated for worms but it was just over the counter stuff
JA: There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: humphry his sides are heaving now and he seams to be in pain
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: he isn't eating anymore as of yesterday
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Humphrey. If his "sides are heaving" you're describing an exaggerated type of breathing consisting of an "abdominal push". This often occurs when a thoracic effusion exists. An effusion is a collection of fluid in the thoracic cavity. It can consist of pus, blood, inflammatory fluid suggestive of neoplasia (cancer), or clear fluid indicative of right sided heart failure or asthma. These cats are in serious trouble and need the attention of their vet at your earliest convenience. X-rays are taken of Humphry's chest and if fluid is seen, a small amount is obtained by needle and analyzed to see what it represents. Treatment, then, is predicated upon findings in the testing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.