Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Why is my neutered 9-yr-old cat spraying in the house? Would

Customer Question

Why is my neutered 9-yr-old cat spraying in the house? Would competition with another cat in the household trigger this behavior? My husband is getting very upset with this, since the cat has 'marked' his shoes as well as other areas of rugs and walls. We have gone through lots of Nature's Miracle urine destroyer recently. This is not an everyday occurrence. Other than that, the cat is very sweet. Spends most of the day outside in warm weather and comes in the house at night. Please give me some suggestions!~ Heidi and cat Buddy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Not that comes to mind.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Is there a new cat in the household?

Any other signs of illness?