Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I found this kitten, problem a month old if that. It has a

Customer Question

I found this kitten, problem a month old if that. It has a bad head cold in its eyes and all's I have to feed it is soft can food and baby kitten formula. What can I do for the kitten to make it feel better?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor little one!

Its good that you have found this little kitten if it is so poorly and you are a star for helping her.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, I first need to note that if these flu signs are severe or you are seeing any snotty nasal discharge from one or both nostrils, then those would be signs that she needs to see your local vet for antibiotics and symptomatic care.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care options, there there are a few steps you can take at home to relieve and reduce her signs. If she has any congestion/nasal signs, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for her.

If she sounds congested and is potentially building up mucus within her nostrils that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Again they hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, if her eyes are very runny, then you can use saline (though aim for eye safe options like first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution) to gently flush the eyes a few times daily. This is a mild antiseptic so it will not just flush away discharge but also reduce bacterial populations causing the eye signs. Afterwards, you could use Terramycin eye drops from your local farm supply shop.

Furthermore, keeping our kitties eating is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if she is seeming less keen to eat , do try tempting her with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). Or you can try warming up what you have in the microwave to help her be able to smell it. If she were to refuse food all together, then we may need to consider syringe feeding her.

Overall, this little one does sound to have cat flu and if it is severe then we do need to tread with care. Therefore, do consider taking the above steps to relieve sneezing/congestion to see if this aids her signs. But if you her signs are severe or the discharges she has are snotty/green/yellow, then we'd want her to be checked by her vet and antibiotics dispensed to give her the best chance of recovery.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well the kitten acts like it feels better , but now we have a different problem. Let me ask you this first.
Have you ever heard of a head cold or flu that kittens get, have you ever heard of the infection pushing the kittens eye out of its head.??? Please do answer cause this is serious.
Waiting eagerly for your response.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please answer me soon cause I don't know what to do. I have got attatched to the kitten and am trying to come up with money to have the eye removed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now the website requires new questions to be opened as a separate question (and feedback needs to be left for the previous one since otherwise the vet aiding you isn't credited for doing so). Still, since you were likely unaware of the website's policy I will briefly note that we do see cat flu in kittens and herpes virus infections specifically can be very nasty for kittens. It can damage the eyes, but it cannot push the eyes out of the head. So, if that is what you are seeing that is more suggestive of a bleed or abscess behind the eye and should be seen urgently.

Take care,

Dr. B

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know this is not the right thing to do buy if I just waited to see what happens to the kitten would the thing coming out of its eye eventually fall off an then heal up. My boyfriend seems to think it will, or he is just not wanting to spend allot of money. He was told to have the eye removed would cost $ 500.00 is that true.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I would not advise doing that. If an abscess is allowed to grow and press on the back of the eye it will cause blindness by damaging the optic nerve and potentially lead to the eye falling out. And I would argue that surgery to remove the eye and prevent the infection spreading to the brain would be more costly than having a vet treat it at this point.

Take care,

Dr. B.