Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a very sweet altered male cat, 2 years old, For his

Customer Question

I have a very sweet altered male cat, 2 years old, For his exercise I purchased a "cat wheel" it is a very large rendition of a hamster wheel that we often see in mouse or hamster cages,
Cosmo is not in the least interested in "Any" food that is not his kibble and in his dish,
I know that he would love this if I could only show him how it works. I've seen cats using this for exercise and he really could use more exercise " can't we all" I don't know where to go to train him to use it. He's very lively and this would be great for him'
Edwin Johnson
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

I have an idea of something that might work. It's true that without being able to use food as a motivator you do have quite a dilemma.

Get yourself a little laser pointer and play with him with it for a while to get him hooked on the concept. Then use the laser pointer to lure him into the wheel by shining it onto the upper inside of the wheel where you want him to put a foot to get the thing rolling. Keep it pointed there and hopefully he will keep running toward it.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

If you want to try this, let me know how it works out.