Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My vet is adamant against Zyrtec, he said antihistamines

Customer Question

My vet is adamant against Zyrtec, he said antihistamines don't work well in cats in his experience. I am a pharmacist and can see Zyrtec as a safer alternative to try for my cat's allergy - extreme itching on the point of bleeding and hair loss. He has had two shots of a corticosteroid with great results. I just do not want to start chronic steroid therapy in my young (4 year old) cat before trying something safer, do you have an opinion? Thanks, Carol
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Carol. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

While I can appreciate that your vet hasn't had a good treatment experiences/responses with this antihistamine, I have to say that my experiences have differed. I have found Zyrtec (Cetirizine) very beneficial for my feline allergy patients and many owners find the once daily dosing (of 5mg) much easier then alternative antihistamine medications. So, I would always try this with my feline patients before deciding to use steroids long term. As well, just to note, you may also want to consider Atopica (cyclosporine) as another non-steroid option in your management of Jack's severe allergies. But again as long as he is clinically well and on no other medication, there is no reason you cannot trial him on Zyrtec.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been able to give him (and his brother) the Zyrtec with no problem. It's been about 4 days and haven't noticed anything significant for side effects. I am also going to try a hypoallergenic cat food with no grain. We'll see! Thanks for checking in!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear all is well and hopefully we can just use this to keep them comfortable without having to use steroids. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you (there is no extra cost for doing so). Thank you!: )