Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 10 yr old cat is sick he has been to vet, blood work

Customer Question

My 10 yr old cat is sick he has been to vet, blood work good, stool was good. He is on a dewormer and flagyl. He won't eat or drink on his own. We have given him fluids 3 times and force fed him. My vet went on vacation and now don't know what to do. He is our baby please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: He is usually active but now he hides. I think he is mad at us. He has never been sick before
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has Rocky had these signs?

Has he been gagging, retching, vomiting or drooling when fed?

Did his vet use any other treatments?

What testing has been done besides blood/stool tests?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He doesn't throw up he just tries to spit it out. He won't drink on his own either
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

And since he is just spitting it out, can you tell me if his vet has ruled out dental disease or oral pain as a cause here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
teeth are good
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you again,

Now the reason for questions is often anorexia in cats is related to either oral discomfort or nausea. And it is not uncommon for them to not vomit but instead refuse to eat and drink as Rocky is here.

With this in mind, the reason I asked if he has had any other treatments is because those that you have listed do not address either. If his teeth are fine and his vet was sure there were no oral issues at all, then not having tried pain relief is reasonable but may be an angle to address to just be sure (since Rocky cannot tell us if he is or not).

Otherwise, I would strongly suggest you ring the vet filling in for your vet (or consider seeing another if your vet isn’t back soon) to have Rocky trailed on anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide) and an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine. These will tackle any underlying nausea and the appetite stimulant will give him a “push” to eat for us.

In the meantime, you can choose to try Rocky with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 12 hours). These are mild but could just be enough to get his stomach settled and help get him thinking about eating for us before he develops dehydration, secondary liver compromise, or loses weight. Of course, once his vet is back to work with you on this, you may want to speak to them about ultrasound to rule out masses, gut thickenings, and other issues that bloods/stool testing would have missed. As well, a temporary feeding tube would be a consideration to help you keep Rocky stable as you get to the root of this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.