Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He has a sore on the back of his ear. Not sure if he has

Customer Question

he has a sore on the back of his ear. Not sure if he has fleas or got in a fight he's black so it's hard to tell what happened but his ear looks matted on the back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kitty..He's 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kitty..He?
Customer: LOL...my son named him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Kitty!!! Will he let you touch the ear at all? To know what is going on, truly the area will need to be looked at more closely where the matting has occurred. This may involve using clippers to shave the fur off the ear (do not try to cut it off with scissors as it is very common to accidentally cut the skin) or if the fur is matted with a scab or crusts, soaking the area by holding a warm wet washrag over the area to loosen the scab and allow removal.

Does the ear canal look normal? Any redness or discharge inside the ear?