Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have a little kitten who's mother won't let her nurse and

Customer Question

I have a little kitten who's mother won't let her nurse and she's growing very weak, I've tried milk with an eyedropper but she doesn't seem to take it... I think she's in pretty bad shape... I need to get her to where she's strong enough that I can move her to get to a vet... any emergency advice?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I';ve tried warm milk with an eyedropper, some cold scrambled eggs ( which she ate a bit of) and some juice from kitten food when I added the water to it. She's so weak..
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitten. I would highly recommend getting her in to your vet right away. I would make a warm box to transport her in (with blankets/towels around the bottom and sides, and you can put a warm water bottle or heating pad in as well, just be sure it is wrapped in fabric so she cannot burn herself, if you don't have anything like this, you can just fill a regular water bottle with hot water and wrap in a thin towel to provide some warmth).

I would not delay in getting her to the vet. Waiting for her to become stronger may result in things being too late for help. If she is unable to eat or drink on her own, then she may need to be tube fed and likely needs some fluid therapy (from an IV or under her skin) to help rehydrate her. If you have pedialyte at home you can try giving her a few drops of this before you leave, or if you happen to have KMR (a kitten milk replacer they sell at the pet store), then you can try to give her a few drops at a time of this, but I wouldn't delay in getting her in to your vet, because I am afraid it may then become too late. Keep her warm and get her there ASAP!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jess K
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Just checking to see how your kitten is doing?