Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Cat 14 lbs took approximately 20 MG of phentermine

Customer Question

cat 14 lbs took approximately 20 MG of phentermine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My cat age 14 years and approx 14 lb I think took 1/2 of a 37.5 MG Phentermine.

This is a significant toxicity in your cat and should indicate bringing your cat to a vet to be decontaminated by emesis and activated charcoal tubed into it. Symptomatic and supportive care is then provided for the expected agitation and hypertension that is likely to develop. There are no studies concerning the toxicity of phentermine in cats. The LD50 (the amount that killed 50% of test subjects) values were 151 and 124 mg/kg in rats and mice, respectively. In rabbits the acute intravenous LD50 of phentermine HCl was 15-20 mg/kg. Rats administered phentermine orally at 2.5 or 5 mg/kg showed a dose-dependent increase in motor activity. In anesthetized dogs phentermine at 0.5 mg/kg administered intravenously showed a mean increase in blood pressure of 64.5 mm (Hg) - a very significant increase. Your cat ingested 20 mg/6.36 kg or 3.1 mg/kg of this drug.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?