Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat ate most of a pouch of UT Support for cats chews. Is

Customer Question

My cat ate most of a pouch of UT Support for cats chews. Is now lathargic and not feeling well didn't want breakfast which she is always eager to eat. She probable ate about 30. Each 100 mg N-Acetyl Glucosamine ( shrimp and crab), 50 mg D Mannose, 50 mg Bromelain 50 mg cranberry extract
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It's very likely that Suki is simply suffering from a GI upset because of having eaten so many treats. Having eaten 30 of these, although not toxic, you may see vomiting, diarrhea and refusal to eat for part of the day today.

It would be wise to try to fast her at least 4 hours to see how she feels. Assuming that she has no vomiting, you can then give her small amounts of food to start. If she seems nauseated, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

You can also use pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Start with a tsp and give a little more every 30-60 minutes thereafter that she does not vomit.

If she worsens today or does not improve with the directions, it would be wise to have her examined and injectable medication given to make her stomach feel better. Most of the time we will see GI symptoms with ingestions like these for the first 2-3 days following the consumption.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

How is Suki feeling today, Christine?