Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is 17 years old and he was rescued by a friend. Have had

Customer Question

He is 17 years old and he was rescued by a friend. Have had him for about 3-4 months. The vet who had him said he had good health and good teeth. But he has some arthritis in one of his legs. Yesterday and today in particular he looks like he can hardly walk...i tried to turn his new collar around on his neck and he fell over (in his bed) and stayed there for a long time. When he does walk he is very careful. Toilet and eating is still ok. Doesnt like biscuits tho but wants quite a bit of meat. He eats kangaroo. Drinks water sometimes but not a lot. we love each other but is not a cuddly pussy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not am aware of because (although he was a wild outdoor cat) is restricted to the balcony (small to medium size) and has his main bed on a table in front of a window so he can look outside...which he does heaps
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: It is now Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She only said that i should not let him go outside because he probably wont come back because he has lived outdoors so much...all he wants to do it watch what is happening outside...he used to meow at the door but has given up...am not sure if have broken his heart.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that Buddy had blood work performed?
2) Still of decent weight?
3) Has he ever needed a dental cleaning?
4) Is he on any joint supplements or medication?
5) Has he worn a collar in the past?