Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My cat just ate the Panoramis tablet meant for my dog, Sooki

Customer Question

My cat just ate the Panoramis tablet meant for my dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sooki 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sooki?
Customer: No, healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about the mix up with your dog's pill. Can you tell me the size of the tablet and approximately how much your cat weighs?

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.

The dose for the active ingredients, spinosad and milbemycin for cats is 50mg per kilogram and 2mg per kilogram respectively but doses several times these have been shown to be safe. If your cat injected less than this amount, then I wound not worry but skip giving any flea treatment or prevention the rest of the month. If your cat has ingested several times this amount then you may want to consider having Sookie seen by an emergency veterinarian so vomiting can be induced and Sooki can be treated appropriately depending on how she is doing.

Side effects of mild toxicities include drooling, dilated pupils, stumbling or incoordination, lethargy, anorexia and more significant toxicities can lead to seizures, coma or death. Usually these doses are 1many multiple times higher than the recommended doses as this product is generally very safe.

If you can tell me the tablet strength of the product you are using as well as Sooki's approximate weight, I can determine how much she ate and if she is in significant danger or not.