Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is 2years old.....he is healthy and was fine all day.

Customer Question

Hi my cat is 2years old.....he is healthy and was fine all day. Normal self but half hour ago I found him hunched standing....he too a couple steps then sat down.....I tried to pick him up and he hissed at me like in pain.....he is sitting not moving his pupils are enlarged....can you help me
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your cat is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he trying to urinate?

2- Is he able to walk?

3- Is he strictly indoors?

4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. No
2. Very slowly
3.no
4.. No
5. Nothing really at this stage

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry your cat is not feeling well. In response to your question, when a cat is hunched and barely walking it is a sign of either abdominal pain or back pain. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination. But, common causes are a pinched nerve along the back, ingestion of a foreign body, urinary tract disorders, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am really sorry. You see, all of the pain medication over the counter are toxic to cats. In addition, a treatment plan should be aimed at the source of the pain. For example, if he has a pinched nerve he will need prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication; if this is related to the ingestion of a foreign body he may need surgery, etc. I would strongly recommend having him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination. I realize that this answer may not be to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I pat him down near tail he meows like in pain....could he have been attacked by another cat....no signs he had been fighting or could he have been bitten by something?

Yes, any form of trauma could cause him to behave in this manner.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But how could he change so quickly like within an hour?

If related to a pinched nerve this can happen in seconds. Consider for example a person that bends over to pick up a coin and ends up in the ER with a herniated disc, well it wasn't picking up the coin that caused the problem but this person had already an existing problem and by bending over finished herniating the disc. In animals is very similar. Then, there are other conditions that could have a more acute onset. So, it all comes down to knowing what is the exact underlying cause.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you recommend I do now?

Unfortunately, there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am really sorry. You see, all of the pain medication over the counter are toxic to cats. I would recommend you take him to the nearest ER veterinarian.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As its 10.00pm at nite and work tomorrow I can't til late tomorrow afternoon.....will that be ok?

I don't know if that will be okay, it all depends on the exact underlying cause. I wish I could tell you that it would, but, if I did I am not being honest. There is no way of me knowing without a hands-on examination, I am sorry.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just checked on him his tongue is slightly hanging out of his mouth....very concerned now

I am sorry, it is a reason to be concerned. This further supports my above assessment.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Live in country no vet available tonite.....so I will hope he doesn't get worse over nite

Let's hope he doesn't.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter