Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a female cat 6 years old who is going back and forth

Customer Question

I have a female cat 6 years old who is going back and forth to her litter box peeing just a very small amount. She had this problem a year ago and her vet gave her clavamox for 14 days. I call the vet and she has appointment at 6:30 Tuesday evening is it ok for her to wait that long? Is there anything I can do in the mean time for my baby?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

The history and symptoms you are describing in Sadie are consistent with a urinary tract infection as you may already know. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Another possible common cause are bladder stones. Neither conditions are life-threatening, but, if you can have her checked tomorrow instead of Tuesday would be best. In the meantime, what you can do is increase her water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth, the flushing action of water helps with inflammation and the infection.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Patti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter