Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I was wondering why my 14year old cat has all of a sudden

Customer Question

I was wondering why my 14year old cat has all of a sudden started jumping up on things and knocking everything off?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Christine, have you noticed other changes in your cat - is she hungrier (polyphagia) yet losing weight, drinking more water (polydipsia), suffering increased episodes of vomiting and/or diarrhea, more restless than usual, acting like a much younger cat, and/or vocalizing more? My primary medical concern is hyperthyrodism if at least some of these symptoms have arisen.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have noticed a change in how she meows sometimes to me it sounds like she's dying
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is that you said you're concerned about

Thank you for the additional information. That's a good description of the mournful meow of a distressed cat. Hyperthyroidism is a common condition in elderly cats in which the thyroid gland becomes unhealthy (a benign growth of thyroid tissue arises in most cases) and produces too much thyroid hormone. This can cause all of the symptoms I mentioned. It's reasonably easy to diagnose with the total thyroid blood test (T4 blood test). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything I can do for that

Yes, it's easily treated with a drug called methimazole or radioactive iodine. First, however, you'll need to confirm if she's truly hyperthyroid. The most cost effective manner in which to do that is to have her vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests which include the T4 blood test. You should know within 24 hours if she's hyperthyroid and if anything else is going on with her at her advanced age.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.