Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Cat does not eat, is very skinny, 15 year old, did not have

Customer Question

Cat does not eat, is very skinny, 15 year old, did not have bowl movement for 4 days. his belly is big. I massage it, he seems to enjoy it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling very well. What is her name? How long has she not been eating? Is she still drinking? Is she urinating more?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not eating for few days. Before- eating little. drinking a little. Urinating twice a day.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Do you feel that her appetite was diminishing in the days / weeks leading up to her stopping eating? I'm going to be honest here and say that what you're describing has me pretty concerned. Her not having a bowel movement could be due to constipation, but more likely is that she's not defecating due to the fact that she's not been eating well to have material move through to make stools. At her age with that weight loss, the big concerns that get brought up are diabetes, chronic renal disease, hyperthyroidism and cancer. Do you feel that you can get her to a vet for them to evaluate her? In her situation, an exam and most likely blood work is going to be huge in determining what is going on and then what can be done as far as treatment.