Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 3 yearold, neutered male cat has blood in his urine. does

Customer Question

My 3 yearold, neutered male cat has blood in his urine. does not show any signs of distress and if he hadn't peed in a sink I would have never known. He is mostly inside or confined to small yard.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Sundance. Cats with urinary problems often urinate in sinks, tubs, on tile floors, for some reason.

Blood in the urine can mean a bladder infection, crystals in the urine, bladder stones, or sterile cystitis (inflammation but no infection in the urine). The only way to tell if he needs antibiotics, or a stone dissolving diet, is by dong a urinalysis (looking at the urine under a microscope).

This is a potentially serious problem. Infections if left untreated can affect the kidneys. If there are crystals in his urine they can form a plug that blocks his urethra, and he would not be able to urinate, which is an emergency when it happens.

The best thing would be to have him checked out, and a urinalysis done.

Until then, encourage him to drink extra if you can by offering some broth or turn juice. The more he drinks, the more he urinates, the more the bladder gets flushed out.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

How is Sundance? I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you!