Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We need help. We just moved into a new home with our two

Customer Question

We need help. We just moved into a new home with our two cats that we have had for 8 years. We got them at the same time and have not had any unusual problems with them getting along. Since moving into our new home the cats act like they don't even know each other. Our more timid cat had been hiding under the bed for about 12 hours (not unusual for her) when she finally came out she was greeted by a vicious attack from our other cat. We thought she was going to kill her. Since then 2 dats ago. We have kept them separate. I've tried getting them together for a few minutes at a time but it's not going well. Our more timid cat is staying in our bedroom and won't come out. We don't understand how these two cats who have been living together just fine all the sudden don't seem to recognize each other.. Please help, this is tearing our sweet family apart.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Stella and Scarlett aren't doing as well with the move as hoped. How long ago was the move made? I'll be honest and say that this does happen with some cats. This move has put them in a strange new place wth new smells and it can definitely stress them out. When they are stressed, they can take out that anxiety on each other and be not very social.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The absolute best thing you can do to help them with the adjustment to the new home is a feline specific calming pheromone product called Feliway. It can be used as a plug in diffuser in the areas where they are most at. It helps to get them more calm and to just to things. Here is a link on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We already got this info from pet smart. This answer is definitely not worth $45.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Need more advice. Pheromones are not working
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would rate this a zero.
I got better advice from my local pet food store.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm very sorry for my delay in responding as cases at work pulled me away. I like to think of this as a conversation where it is a back and forth process. I failed on my end. I would like to try and help some more. How long ago was the move made? I've seen situations like this happen where cats get stressed and start to disagree / attack the other due to situations where there are just new smells. The most common time I've had it happen is when one cat is brought to the clinic for a vaccines / work up and while there, they pick up a new odor of the clinic and when they get home, the other resident cat really lashes out at them. Can you tell me specifically which pheromone product you are using?