Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My ten year old cat has been loosing weight recently (about

Customer Question

My ten year old cat has been loosing weight recently (about 3-4 months). She seems to eat more than ever (wet food). Last week the vet took blood and urine, and results were normal, for thyroid, liver, kidneys etc.. What could cause her to loose so much weight while having an increased appetite? (she has gone from almost 11 pounds to 9.5)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Annie. Her polyphagia (increased hunger) yet weight loss and "normal" blood tests usually suggest undiagnosed hyperthyroidism. It's important to recognize that any T4 (total thyroid blood test) of 2.0 or higher indicates hyperthyroidism in a 10 year while in much younger cats 2.0+ is considered to be in the normal range. Can you upload a copy of Annie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Annie's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

Less commonly, I'll find maldigestion in the form of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (a failure of the pancreas to produce enough digestive enzymes). This can be tested for with the TLI blood test. Additionally, malabsorption (not being able to absorb digested food efficiently) may be present and that's suggested by lower than normal serum folate and/or vitamin B12 levels.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Craig,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?