Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

For the past month, following annual vet visit, 7-year old

Customer Question

For the past month, following annual vet visit, 7-year old cat has not used the litter box to poop. Mostly selects places in family room. We have 4 litter boxes, change them weekly.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello Karen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Karen,

This is a very frustrating problem I know, however I have worked out a plan of action for you, this is drawn from the practice handout which I give to clients where their cats have behaved like your one, some of these solutions have worked well.

1. The first thing to do is to have Bella checked over by your vet regarding this problem, you should do so in case there is some medical problem or other at the root of her behaviour. While this may be unlikely this is your logical starting point as you would not want to miss medical causes. If she gets a clean bill of health at your vet then logically it must be a behavioural problem of some sort, and this is not uncommon in the cat.

Where it turns out to be a behavioural problem consider the following :

2. When you clean up after where your cat has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to your cat it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to her then she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

3. Best advice is to keep the litter trays well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason she does not use the trays.

4. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden centre instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring her back into her litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

5. This could be your best idea : Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, another cat in the house or neighbourhood etc. They may just have seen another cat through the window or smelled them under the front door. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway and it has helped them a lot. Here is a link to this product so you can check it out : LINK

6. Some cats respond to low level tranquillisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though. These are prescription drugs so you will have to talk this over with your vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her behavioural problems ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?