Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I can't get my cat into her pet carrier. I've tried tricks

Customer Question

I can't get my cat into her pet carrier. I've tried tricks and treats. I need to get her to the vet for her short - and she may have a urinary infection. Help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Danika isn't the first cat to not like the pet carrier. I personally have one female that totally detests it too. Probably the best thing you can do to get her into it is to use a towel. Set it on the floor. Set her in it and then proceed to fold it up and around her to make a swaddle like layer around her so she can't get her legs out. The challenge with getting into a carrier is when the feet go all over. You can wrap her in the towel, hopefully place her in the carrier and then either leave the towel in there or take it out. There are definitely some carriers that are easier to get a cat into than others. The top loading ones with zippers works very well for the towel approach.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The other thing that can greatly aide in these situations is to have a second set of hands. If there is any chance a friend, neighbor or relative can help to hold the carrier while you do this, it helps greatly.