Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has had several enemeas due to constipation and now I

Customer Question

My cat has had several enemeas due to constipation and now I have been told his colon has lost it's elasticity. My Vet seems to think my cat should be killed. Is this the only option?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is should?
Customer: He is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about should?
Customer: He was a rescue kitten and has had a'delicate stomach ever since. However he does like to catch his own dinner sometimes and will eat mice, voles and small birds occasionally.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Cases where cats have trouble passing stool due to colonic stretching can be a challenge. Still, if your vet hasn't tried any treatment besides enemas when he is impacted, then there are some options. For mild cases, use of easily digestible diets, fiber supplementation, GI lubricants (ie Lactulose, cat hairball treatment, etc), and prokinetic drugs to help the gut move/contract properly can be used. Otherwise, for more severe cases or those where medical management is not enough, there are surgical options too. The subtotal colectomy is an operation where the dysfunctioning portion of gut is removed to help restore normal gut function and stool passage for your lad. Though this tends to be a specialist operation carried out at vet schools and private referral practices, so you may need to have your vet refer you for assessment for this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

.