Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My two cats have skin crusts mostly around their necks. when

Customer Question

my two young cats have skin crusts mostly around their necks. when the crust comes off, there is a small, raised red spot. they do not have fleas due to frontline, at least none that I can see. since they both have it, I am thinking a parasite may be the cause. they are inside only, eat science diet and canned tuna. I have used coconut oil on their skin,which gives some relief. is this a parasitic infer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no, but we are sometimes visited by feral cats and a racoon on our deck. my cats come right up to the door to visit them.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

This location is very suggestive of fleas. Even though you don't see any, they could still be getting exposed. The topical preventatives are great, but fleas can still get on and bite them. They just die soon after. The issue is that the flea bites can lead to flea allergy dermatitis and we can see these crusty lesions on the neck and the base of the tail. You may want to try alternating products and using Revolution or Advantage as some fleas will get immune to certain products when used long term.

I would probably do a round of antibiotics like Cephalexin or Amoxicillin on them. This is in case of a staph infection. Sometimes we'll see secondary staph infections that lead to these lesions. Alternatively, you could make a diluted Chlorhexidine rinse and clean the areas once daily for 7-10 days to see if that helps. Make sure you rinse it off well after applying.

I don't think this is a mite or any other topical parasite.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.