Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat gets car sick and Cerenia has been prescribed for

Customer Question

My cat gets car sick and Cerenia has been prescribed for her. She is 12 lbs.and would need 1/2 of a 60mg. tablet. Isn't this too much? I have been researching it and that's more than for a dog her size.
Thank you so much.
Arlene ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello Arlene,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Arlene,

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Where I personally prescribe this drug for car sickness in the cat I would usually use a dose rate of 0.5 mg per pound of the cat's bodyweight given orally once a day. For a 12 pound cat this works out as 6 mg, this drug has a high margin of safety in cats so larger doses are probably not so dangerous, that said it would always be best to get to the minimum effective dose rate.

2. Here is a link to a very accurate article which covers how this drug is used in cats : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Cerenia dose level ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.