Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I think my ferret has worms, I'm discovering whatever in his

Customer Question

I think my ferret has worms, I'm discovering whatever in his feces. But everything I've seen online about worm are white, these are pink like florescent really bright pink
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Mr. Peppy. Intestinal parasites like round worms aren't that common in ferrets like they are in dog or cats. They can get organisms in their intestinal tract like giardia, but this is a protozoal organism that isn't visible with the naked eye. What you're most likely seeing are bits / pieces of something that he's chewing on and passing. Could it be threads from something? Here is a good link on intestinal parasites for ferrets.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=11+1290&aid=551

There aren't any specific worms - round worms, tape worms, etc.. that are pink and fluorescent. What you could do is take a picture of what you're seeing and then take that and a stool sample to your vet to screen for organisms.