Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

How does a cat have to live when they stop eating,she's

Customer Question

How long does a cat have to live when they stop eating,she's still drinking some water and a touch of milk
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, no one has studied how long it takes a cat to stave to death since that would not be ethical. That said, cats that are off food for longer then a few days often are at risk of secondary liver issues and could deteriorate quickly after that point. Therefore, we don't want to leave Keetcha to suffer this way. So, if she isn't vomiting, you can syringe feed her a watered down calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, since she is drinking you could also try a liquid diet like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure. There is also an over the counter paste called Nutrical that you could use to keep her from starving. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories in even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in.

Otherwise, since funds are a concern and we don't want her to suffer, I do want to note some options you can try. First, I would note that both VCA + Banfield offer a free 1st consult offer that may be an option here. You can find their vouchers @:VCA (Voucher: or Banfield (Voucher: As well, the Humane Society ( ASPCA ( both have good databases of charities that could help you get the care she needs as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )