Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My middle cat is losing fur above his tail on the lower

Customer Question

my middle cat is losing fur above his tail on the lower back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scooter, about 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scooter?
Customer: I started all three of my male cats on new food, Halo because my oldest was vomiting his food almost right after he ate it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The affected area is most indicative of a flea saliva allergy. Although a food intolerance can cause itchiness anywhere on a cat's body, the face and bum is usually most affected. Our dermatologists tell us to apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer prescription products available from Scooter'svet even if fleas aren't seen. Cats can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Indoor cats can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. Turning on the heater or as the weather warms at this time of year then hatches the eggs. Flea saliva allergy is usually most evident on the saddle area – the area between the edge of the rib cage and tail. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription corticosteroid such as prednisolone will work wonders for cats allergic to the saliva of the flea. Your other cats may not be allergic to the saliva of the flea although fleas may have found them.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.