Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat was bleeding from the mouth. He has always has

Customer Question

Hi my cat was bleeding from the mouth. He has always has sensitive stomach. He bleed the whole night but this morning when he was seen by the vets the bleeding had stopped. Couldn't find any swelling in his mouth. The vet said if it happens again to go back for an internal camera check his stomach.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Yes I have been giving him dry and wet food.. But since the bleeding I'm giving him wet food only. He has appetite. Stool seems normal though in the past he has had blood in his stool.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question. I'm reviewing it now and will answer as soon as possible.

How old is your cat?

What is his name?

Thank you!

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I was hoping to hear back from you with some additional information, but I can answer your question now and if you need any further information, just click 'Reply.'

The bleeding your cat is experiencing is of great concern. I'm so glad you had him checked out by the vet and I think the next best step would be having that endoscopy with a camera attached, to get a good look at your cat's stomach and try to find the cause of the bleeding. He could have damage from excess acid being produced by his stomach (like a bleeding ulcer), he could have a cyst or tumor that is bleeding, and there are many other possibilities, so imaging is the next best step.

It's encouraging that he has an appetite and you did the best thing in changing to a wet food.

The occasional blood in his stool can be caused by the same problem; a fecal analysis should be done. If your vet can also take a look at his intestines and colon, you could get a diagnosis and treatment for the problem found. Lymphoma is a common condition in cats' intestines and it is a form of cancer, so having these tests are very important.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy, once the problem is identified and treated!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up to find out how your kitty is doing and to know if you found my answer helpful.

I hope all is well!

Warmest wishes,

Cher