Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 18-month spayed DSH that I found as a kitten. She

Customer Question

I have an 18-month spayed DSH that I found as a kitten. She eats only a grain-free, high protein diet (Blue Buffalo Freedom Weight Control Grain Free Chicken Indoor Adult Cat Food). I have allowed her to free range graze because "they" said it was better for her. My fear is that a scheduled limited feeding (i.e., 1/2 cup twice daily) made my previous cats neurotic. But the cat in question is gaining too much weight. I have moved her bowl to a less "social" area, and she is still quite active, and she gets no wet food or human food. Should I switch her to scheduled feeding? And how do I do it so she doesn't become anxious when she sees an empty bowl?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bunny. I'm glad that you're aware of her eating situation and how she is gaining too much weight. Honestly, going to a scheduled feeding is what would be best. She is one of those cats that is grazing enough that caloric wise, she's going over what she needs in a given day. A cat that is overweight is one that has more health issues ranging from diabetes, to arthritis, to heart issues, etc... At this point, recognizing the issue and taking a proactive approach is going to be best. As far as how to go to the scheduled feeding? You could go right to it with her caloric requirements for the day divided into two feedings. If you want to take this amount and give 1/3 in the am, leave 1/3 out to graze on, and then give the last 1/3 in the pm - that may work best. She may be one that needs to be placed on a lower calorie food than she's on if she's feeling hungry despite the meal feeding.